Fort Meade, Maryland
Pay Plan: GG, Grade: 07/1 to 09/10
Open: 2022-07-08, Close: 2022-08-05
The Program Manager Development Program (PMDP) develops individuals who can successfully participate in and eventually lead current and future designated NSA/CSS programs in accordance with appropriate DoD and Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) statutes, regulations, policies, and instructions governing Program Management. Historically, this function has been performed by Engineers, Computer Scientists, and other technically educated/trained personnel. The rapid advance of technology and its accompanying effect on DoD program development and management has highlighted the need for Program Managers (PM) with broad backgrounds who can work in, communicate with, and move effectively between the acquisition and technological worlds. PMDP aims to develop future National Security Agency (NSA) key leaders by providing guidance and opportunities for professionally broadening experiences and career progression. This program will introduce program participants to the leadership skills necessary to enhance program stability, strengthen management accountability, and ensure effective use of all assigned resources.
The PMDP is a 3-year program designed to develop new hires (GG 7-9) by providing direct program manager experience as well as developmental opportunities through formal classroom training, on-the-job training, and professional certifications. Participants complete defense acquisition training as well as National Cryptologic School (NCS) training in acquisition, systems engineering, leadership, and resource management. Each participant, assigned to one of the official NSA programs, completes four specific tour rotations based upon requirements, development gaps, and professional interest.
As a Program Manager at the NSA, your responsibilities may include:
– Establishing and managing cost, schedule and performance baselines for programs
– Implementing best practices and processes to track progress of services and development of capabilities in terms of defined cost, schedule, and performance outcomes
– Adjusting priorities and resource allocation based upon objective program performance data
– Providing metrics and analysis to support forward-looking decision-making based on data
– Establishing governance processes for program and related reviews
– Overseeing testing that satisfies DoD/ODNI/Industry guidelines while demonstrating that an acceptable level of customer expectations have been assessed and met
– Leveraging data and analysis from systems engineers, configuration managers, contracting officers, and/or financial managers to inform program performance measures
– Providing program status reports and briefings to internal management, NSA senior leadership and government oversight officials in the DoD, ODNI, and Congress
– Collaborating with senior leaders, senior technical leaders, system engineers, and fellow program managers to help develop a strategic vision and goal for the organization
The National Security Agency employs a wide variety of business professionals who play a critical role through budgetary and contract activities that support our nation’s security every day. We rely on the skills of our acquisition, finance, and accounting professionals to support the internal infrastructure of a federal agency comparable in size and budget to Fortune 100 companies. You formulate and execute budget resources, develop and allocate manpower resources and even provide guidance on implementing policy on cost, finance, and accounting. Start a career where you become a steward of taxpayer dollars, seeking the greatest return that money can provide: a superior intelligence service for the safety and security of our nation.
*The qualifications listed are the minimum acceptable to be considered for the position. Salary offers are based on candidates’ education level and years of experience relevant to the position and also take into account information provided by the hiring manager/organization regarding the work level for the position.
Entry is with a Bachelor’s degree and no experience. A high school diploma or GED plus 4 years of relevant experience, or an Associate’s degree plus 2 years of relevant experience may be considered for individuals with in-depth experience that is clearly related to the position.
Degree must be in a Business Field (e.g., Program Management, Business Management, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, and Economics) or a Technical Field (e.g., Engineering, Systems Management, Computer Science, and Information Technology).
Relevant experience must be in program management (e.g., trend and forecast analysis, earned value management, cost benefit analysis, balanced scorecard, activity based costing, life cycle cost estimating, activity based budgeting, and gap analysis).
The ideal candidate is someone with a desire for continual learning and strong communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills who is adaptable and has a great eye for detail.
Knowledge and experience in the following areas is desired:
– Conducting quantitative and qualitative program/project analysis such as Earned Value Management
– Leading people and/or projects at a significant level of responsibility preferred
– Delivering program requirements
– Monitoring contract performance and execution across its life-cycle (for example, perform duties of Contracting Officer’s Representative)
– Working in a blended environment with civilian, military, and contractor personnel
– Understanding information technology and telecommunications products, programs, tools, and processes
– Effective utilization of the Microsoft Office suite of tools
The follow certifications are preferred:
– DAWIA in program management or equivalent (level depends on position)
– Project Management Professionalization (PMP)
– Other program management certifications considered
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary Range: $50,643 – $80,532 (Entry/Developmental). Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
On-the job training, internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
Participation in the Program Management Development Program will be contingent upon the following: During this three-year commitment you will receive specialized training and rotate throughout the business and capabilities organizations. Following successful completion of the program you will assume a position within NSA’s Business Management & Acquisition or Capabilities Organization to fulfill a one-year post program obligation.
This is a full-time position, Monday through Friday.
How to apply
U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
Due to time sensitive communications regarding your application, please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept email from email@example.com. Please review the job posting thoroughly to ensure you meet the described qualifications and are aware of all associated requirements. To apply for this position, please click the ‘Apply’ button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the ‘Submit’ button, you will receive a confirmation email. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible, as job postings could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants, or the position is no longer available. You may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the application screening process and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to showcase within your resume those experiences relevant to this position. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet all position qualifications, may be contacted to begin employment processing. Please remain diligent in monitoring email and your SPAM folder. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. Please visit our Diversity link for more information.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans’ Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans’ preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.
JBNSA / Equal Opportunity Employer