Clearance Required: Day
The Leidos Innovation Center has an opening for Mount Control Engineer to be located on Kirtland AFB, NM, with expertise in large telescope controls and operations. This position supports optical research and development projects at the Air Force Research Laboratory Starfire Optical Range, for applications including optical communications and high resolution imaging and tracking of space objects. Projects primarily involve field experiments on optical propagation through turbulence, including laser propagation, optical imaging, radiometry and spectroscopy. Field experiments are concentrated upon the use of large-aperture astronomical-type optical telescopes and large-scale adaptive optical systems for real-time atmospheric compensation and high-accuracy tracking. Specific tasks include development of control systems for large telescopes and beam directors, experiment data processing and analysis, and experiment design, planning, and operations. Flexible work hours may be required.
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
• Develop, implement, test, and maintain systems and software for motion control of large telescopes and beam directors at the AFRL Starfire Optical Range
• Design diagnostic tests and experiments
• Develop and maintain modeling and analysis code
• Document results
• Communicate directly with customers, engineers, and other scientists, and will work independently under direction of the Leidos program manager
This is you:
• MS in engineering, mathematics, or physics with at least 10+ years’ experience
• Ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance
• Experience with control systems for large telescopes, coelostats, or other tracking mounts
• Experience with scripting languages (Mathematica, Matlab, IDL, etc.)
• Experience with low level programming languages (C, C++, Python, Fortran, etc.)
• Ability to translate derived or evolved algorithms into operational software
• Experience in astronomical field experiments/observations
• Strong verbal and written communication skills including ability to prepare and present reports and briefings on experiment results.
• Ability to work in a mixed AF/contractor team environment, interfacing directly with government analysts, engineers, and experiment directors.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Experience with adaptive optical systems
• Experience with astronomical or satellite tracking tools and methods
• Experience with data acquisition software and hardware systems
• Experience with AFRL large telescope systems at either Starfire or Maui locations
• Experience with AFRL SORAPS software and algorithms
• Top Secret security clearance
External Referral Eligible
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Pay Range $110,500.00 – $170,000.00 – $229,500.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That’s why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.
JBLDJ LEIDOS // An Equal Opportunity Employer